24 August 2010

Grounding

I started out today thinking I would attempt another Top 10 post. But, as I set out to think of the Top 10 Things I'll Miss About Being Pregnant, I could think of only my number 1 thing:

I will miss feeling Baby A move inside me.

Without a doubt, the very best thing about being pregnant is feeling the baby move. Now that Baby A is getting pretty squished and tight in there, his kicks and rolls and jabs can be especially powerful. The movement is rarely uncomfortable physically, but it's always a joy emotionally. I know he's safe and sound and just checking out how all these crazy body parts work.

Other people are fascinated by Baby A's movements too. I've had friends see my tummy jerk with a kick; I've had family members ask to lay their hands on my belly in hopes of feeling him roll around; I've had co-workers tell me they can feel his energy. B asks daily about what the baby has been up to and I respond in turn with updates on his movements (because really, what else is there?). I get that for all of these people feeling Baby A move is really the most tangible way to make sense of this crazy process. It's a way to wrap their head around it and begin to bond with this new little guy.

And I guess that's why I love it so much too. What a physical process this whole pregnancy thing can be. For a person who is very cognitive and thought-focused, it reminds me of something very basic. Feeling Baby A move, being pregnant itself, grounds me; brings me down out of my head
and into my body
and my heart.
I have never felt such a visceral sense of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment