My eyes are closed and when I open them, I'm standing on a cliff. Barefoot, there are smooth stones under my feet. Warm sun and light breeze grace my skin. Looking out all I see is clear blue sky.
And then I look down. And there is a long way to fall. I know the only way into the water below is to jump. I'm not sure when I will jump and, having never jumped before, I don't know exactly what to expect. Lots of previous divers have told me about the sting of the water, the plunge that never seems to end, the moment you think you won't reach the surface but just keep sinking. I trust these divers, but I still don't know exactly what my jump will be like.
So I take a deep breath. The anticipation feels like fear on the inhale and surrender on the exhale. I close my eyes and breathe and wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment