02 May 2011

History

This past weekend there were two historical events. Both were covered extensively by news media. Both were celebrated by crowds of people. However, one was full of beauty and love (or at least, I assume it was) while the other was full of death and anger.

You are too young to have any memory of either of these events, and I'm thankful in some ways that you aren't older. How would I explain to you the significance of world events? How would I make you understand that people got up at ungodly hours of the night to watch a wedding? How would I tell you that people were chanting "USA" in pride after the death of a terrorist leader?

I see history through new eyes - yours. Eyes that have yet to comprehend a sunset or words on a page. Eyes that only understand smiles. The innocence in your eyes makes me hopeful that we learn love first and hate later, that we see beauty before ugliness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment