31 August 2011

Glimpses

These days  have been filled with glimpses of who you'll be. So far I've seen that you'll be independent, as in no-tears-when-I-leave-you-at-day-care-for-the-first-time kind of independent. Upon my return? You glanced at me, and then kept right on climbing over the other babies playing.

I've seen that you will be opinionated, as in let-me-know-when-you-don't-like-something-by-banging-on-the-floor-repeatedly kind of opinionated. You yell at Dad and I as though we're the idiots who don't understand Teddy-language. (Ah shucks, who am I kidding. You're going to be looking at us like we're idiots for about the next 20 years...at least.)

I've seen that you will be persistent, as in I-will-sit-here-and-figure-out-how-this-wheel-turns-if-it-takes-me-all-day kind of persistent. Your desire to figure things out, to understand, to know - it will take you far and leave you with more questions than answers.

I've seen that you will be someone who draws others in, as in every-person-in-the-grocery-store-must-say-hi-to-you kind of draw. I have yet to meet someone who wasn't enchanted by your blue eyes and 2-toothed smile. (Except the middle-aged guy with pink hair behind us in the check-out line. But he was buried in his Vanity Fair magazine, so he doesn't count.) I hope you give love and compliments as easily as they come your way (even to pink-haired middle-aged men).

Because, as it's been since the beginning, your heart is all that matters. And from what I've seen so far, it's gold.


No comments:

Post a Comment