14 November 2011

Dear Teddy,

Well, we survived. You, me, Dad, your Aunt Molly. We all survived the (bum bum bum) First Overnight Without Mom or Dad. We, your lovely parents, took off to Philly to enjoy some adult conversation and a meal past 6pm. You, my little cuddly man, got a solid 36 hours of Aunt Molly all to yourself.

As we were driving back, anxious to scoop you up and give you a head-butt or two, I was thinking about how I couldn't wait to see you. But also how it was nice to not have to worry about anyone other than myself for a few hours. I missed you like crazy, but I didn't miss chasing you down the aisles of Home Depot or trying to decipher what you want to eat for lunch. And then I laughed to myself - this lesson is one that I'm sure you will learn soon:

The good stuff in life, the joy, is all the more appreciated when there is some not-so-good stuff, the trials. It struck me that the cuddles are that much sweeter after a trying day. Like desert after vegetables, you are my chocolate cake and green beans all wrapped up in one. You are my test and my reward, but neither would matter as much without the other.

So life returns to normal this week. You will probably splatter some squash on me, the floor, yourself, the high chair. And I may grumble. But then you'll probably carry Louie to me, arms outstretched, ready to be scooped up and snuggled into my shoulder. And I will remember how sweet it is to be a mom. Your mom. 

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. So so so so so so so true. And congrats on getting away for an overnight! The first time it is hard to ignore the guilt and relish the freedom, but it gets easier each time. :)

    ReplyDelete