14 December 2011

What goes around...

I think parenting is all about payback. All the hassle you caused your "parental units," as I so fondly used to refer to them in my uber-cool teen years? It comes back to you in the form of your own offspring. Take the following examples:

* For 3 ok, 5 like 7 years I would cry out "mommy-o-mommy, mommy-o-mommy" every morning. I was relentless. Stubborn. And she would always come. My child? He basically kept me from sleeping a full nights sleep for close to a year. I dread the move to the toddler bed for fear he'll be genetically predisposed to an inability to get out bed without his mother.

* Are You My Mother was my favorite book as a little girl. My mother must have read it a zillion times. Now? I have it memorized because Teddy must hear it read at least 13 times in a row. Morning. Noon. Night. I find this equally obnoxious and awesome. Probably not far from how my mom felt about that book 20-some years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment