I was 5weeks4days pregnant. I've done lots of reading and research, but none of that prepares you for the emotional toll that awaits. The short story is that I had some concerns on Mon (5w4d) so I visited my doctor for the first time who took some blood and sent me for an early ultrasound which revealed no heartbeat. According to my doctor, based on the numbers from my bloodwork, there should have been a heartbeat. I continued to have some concerns as the week progressed and my doc advised that I was probably miscarrying and needed a D&C.
I cried and cried and cried and got angry and asked why. And then I did some more research. The day before the scheduled D&C, I called my doctor back and said "I want a second ultrasound." She obliged.
I will never forget my doctor's gasp when she saw it, her tears that came before mine as I lay on the table, the unassuming ultrasound technician just doing her daily job. There it was - just a tiny little flickering of sound waves. But I knew it was a new life, a new heart beating in me.
And I cried.
No comments:
Post a Comment