28 January 2013

Dear Baby a,

You arrived on a Thursday morning, 8:00am on the nose. And it has been a whirlwind ever since that morning two weeks ago. I knew you would be my little firecracker, my feisty little girl. You did not disappoint us! Before your body was separate from mine, you began the wails and screams heard round the hospital. Ok, so probably not that far, but dang girl, you had some lungs on you and you let us know!

I watched you wail and flail as they cleaned you off and measured you. The whole while crying my own tears of love beyond measure. That is what surprised me the most about your birth - not seeing your eyes that reminded me of your brother or your hands that looked like mine or the swirl of hair at that center of your head that is all your own. What surprised me the most was the immediacy of my love for you; how at the exact second you left my body, I loved you more than I ever dreamed.

After the nurses wrapped you tightly, Dada was able to carry you over to me. He held you close to my face and we talked to and you quieted your wails to just whimpers. You knew us. Your whole demeanor changed in an instant. Your big eyes intently trying to focus on mine in those first moments. I kissed your cheeks and head and marveled at how soft you were. For such a firesty little girl, you had the softest skin I've ever felt.

We named you Adelyn Mae. Our baby girl. Our little firecracker. Our softest and feistiest parts all in one package. Our 7lb, 20 inch long burst of warmth on a cold, January morning.

Welcome to us.

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment