Since we moved, Teddy's separation-wariness seems at an all time high. I've especially noticed that he hates doors. It's as if, when someone shuts a door, he worries that the person has vanished forever. I know he grasps the idea of object permanence given his play, but there is something about a person behind a closed door that just doesn't sit well with him. I had been wondering about the best way to respond to this.
And then my mom left after her visit to help us move.
I had driven her to the airport, sleeping baby in tow. We talked about furniture and the scenery. And then I pulled out her suitcase from my car and hugged her goodbye and drove away. And I was sad. A lonely sad. A closed door sad.
In those moments, I empathized with Teddy like I hadn't in a while. It's lonely, this saying goodbye thing, no matter a moment or a month. So my new thoughts on responding to Teddy? Empathizing with the tears, closing doors when needed, and knowing that he too will learn that loneliness only spurs us towards loving connection with people who really matter to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment